1. There is an estimated 1,500 different types of tea.
2. Tea is the national drink in Iran and Afghanistan. Green tea is consumed as a thirst quencher, and black tea as a warming beverage. Both of them are prepared with lots of sugars
3. The British drink about 165 million cups of tea a day.
4. Britain is the second-largest nation of tea drinkers per capital Ireland is the first.
5. China is the world’s largest producer of tea. In 2009, China produced 1,359,000 tonnes; India was second with 979,000 tonnes.
6. An estimated 85% of tea that is consumed in the United States is iced tea.
7. Over 519 million pounds of tea are imported into the United States each year.
8. After water, tea is the most widely consumed beverage in the world.
9. It takes around 4 to 12 years for a tea plant to produce a seed. It takes about three years before a new plant is ready to harvest.
10. Tea plants need at least 50 inches of rain a year.